Monday, August 23, 2010

Almost normal...almost.

A quick update on the knee. Normal is something I aspire to feel. It is getting there. There are definitely times in the day when I don’t think about the knee and forget about surgery, pain, and stiffness.

The manipulation has been the turning point. It was not pleasant to say the least. I was awake with an epidural. Getting the epidural wasn’t bad, but waiting all day in the holding room without any water or food in over 18 hours was the worst. Once the very quick procedure was over I was in recovery and then back in my room where I would spend the night in a machine that constantly kept my knee moving and bending. I still had the epidural so there wasn’t much pain in the leg. However I had terrible pain in my arm that had my IV. I had some issues getting the IV due to dehydration (hello no fluids for way too long). The pain in the arm was worse than anything. Well maybe that and my terrible roommate and her daughter. The roommate decided she wanted to talk to me all night and have her TV on. Finally I had to tell her I needed to sleep and requested ear plugs. Then her daughter decided that the visiting hours didn’t apply to her and arrived at 7am. If that wasn’t bad enough she decided to try and be my personal nurse, force feeding me and trying to set her engaged brother up with my sister. Beyond annoying. I just wanted to get out of there. I was a little delayed due to nausea but finally got out around 5pm . I headed straight to PT and have been working hard at PT a few times a week ever since. I am now consistently past 120 degrees and have very minimal pain except during PT. I have gotten a lot of strength back and that is my main focus now. I am so out of shape!!!

Ok enough knee - so much for a short post. I think I will get my act together with some fun pictures of family vacation at the beach soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment